Archive for the 'Progress Update' Category

Ruleset

               Monday, March 30th, 2009

A while ago I did this browser based combat type sim thing in PHP and mySQL. You created a character, built up his stats, equip and the like, then challenged other people. Looking through the code, the ruleset was quite intense, using all of the stats and was pretty balanced towards the end I can [...]

NPC’s (Pt2)

               Thursday, March 19th, 2009

Part 2 of the NPC’s. Going for the dead simple dialogue system approach, ‘Do my quest?, yes/no’ Can make it a little more sophisticated if it doesn’t work out.
A little bit about how it works, I have created an NPCSpawner that is an invisible object with a trigger region and some private member variables, NPC [...]

NPC’s

               Sunday, March 8th, 2009

I’ve started work on the Non Player Characters, NPC’s for the game, or at least the programming for them. These will form an integral part of Daggerwind, so will spend a little time trying to get them right. Luckily I have some help with the creative writing side as Russ Hamer has joined the team. [...]

Menu screenshot

               Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009

Menu now pretty much finished, and looking quite good. Well I’m sure it looked better when I first started, but the only problem is because your staring at it for long periods of time while developing, it begins to loose it’s shine somewhat. I used to be really bad for that, constantly re-doing things when [...]

Menu Screen

               Friday, February 27th, 2009

Have been working on the game menu screen for the last couple of days, which isn’t critical but starts to make the game more like a game instead of just rudely dropping you into a scene with a camera in it. It starts to round it off, making it feel more game like, even if it’s still lacking in content.
My [...]

Progress Update

               Sunday, February 22nd, 2009

Since release v1.0.3 last week, not too much has happened in the way of progress. At least not anything major.
I’ve just been tinkering around the edges, tidying things up for the moment. This actually would be good progress for any normal project, but for Daggerwind, major updates and not-normal progress is the norm.
The way I usually [...]

GUI System - HUD

               Monday, February 9th, 2009

This is a first look at the in game HUD, still a little more work required but looks quite good so far. These are just place holders (From Dungeon Lords) I need the game to look good right off the bat to be able to attract some top notch graphic guys later on. Also give’s [...]

Dungeon Instances

               Friday, January 30th, 2009

Here’s the first look at Dungeon Instancing I’ve been working on…

The cool thing about this is, you can create a Dungeon Entrance prefab that contains the mesh, trigger area, and script that switches to the dungeon scene.
An instance of the prefab can then be placed anywhere in the scene, adding as many dungeons as you [...]

Save Game

               Thursday, January 22nd, 2009

Been working on the Save/Load game facility, which is now complete and has been pretty heavily tested.
Will be in the next release, so am very pleased about that.
This is often overlooked, but becomes quite important pretty early on in the game development process. (With the caveat that it has been designed with maintenance in mind [...]